Sunday, July 27, 2008

15th Century Bagpiping anyone?


Well it looks like I’m in for a unique experience. I have been invited by Clan Amuck to attend the SCA War at Mormon Lake as their bagpiper. Period attire required. It immediately raises two questions in my mind. Exactly what pieces are period (14-15th Century) appropriate? And more importantly, is the bagpiper classed as a combatant?

The first question is not too great an issue as the Clan Chief advised me to just play “what ever”. Scots Wha Hae to march them into battle. Scotland the Brave and Minstrel Boy while they are flailing away at each other…. I don’t know.

The second issue though is of some concern, for both me and my bagpipes. I’ll need to get a little more information here! I think my youngest son has made the wisest choice, he is going as the Clan "Brew Miester" and entering the brewing competition. I guess the worst that can happen there is he could be carried off as "spoils of war".

2 comments:

Heathen Highlander said...

Pops,
I've taken a look at your blog and your website. I'm a fan. Thanks for putting the Heathen Highlanders link on your blog. If you give me your e-mail I'd be happy to send you some pictures of the Heathens doing what we do. I'll put a link-back to your blog soon. I'd like to invite you to check out my other sites.
www.bagpipes-slc.blogspot.com
www.heathen.bagpiper.com

Mike (AKA Pops) said...

I think that this "non-traditional" piping represents a brave new future for Piping. Bagrock is a more and more common thing, and people are discovering just versatile 9 little notes can be. Now, if I could just find a bagpipe score for "Smoke on the Water" and "We Will Rock You". :-)